The Center for Critical and Cultural Theory at Rice University will be hosting the 29th Annual (SLSA) Society for Literature, Science and the Arts Conference.
November 12-15, 2015 at the BioScience Research Collaborative (BRC) located within the Houston Medical Center and Rice University.
Click here to download the full CFP
- The concept of “Life”
- Immunitary and autoimmunitary paradigms of biopolitics
- Race, species, and biopolitics
- States of exception: theoretical and historical dimensions
- Bioengineering life
- Biomedia and bioart
- Biopolitics and the Anthropocene
- The politics of medicalization and the Medical Humanities
- The biopolitics of foodways
- “Letting die”: the biopolitics of extinction
- Biopolitics and the ecological paradigm
- Biopolitics and genocide
- “Making live”: biopolitics, health, and hygiene
- Neoliberalism and biopolitics
- The concept of sovereignty in biopolitical thought
- Biopolitical histories of race, gender, and sexuality
- Genetics, epigenetics, and biopolitics
- “Flesh”: concepts of the body and embodiment in biopoltics
- Imagining affirmative biopolitical futures
These and other topics related to the theme will be welcome. As always, the conference of the Society for Literature, Society, and the Arts is open to wide range of related topics drawn from a broad array of scholarly and creative disciplines and practices that are relevant to the mission of the organization.
For individual paper contributions, submit a 250-word abstract with title. Pre-organized panel submissions, which might include three or four papers per panel, should include an additional paragraph describing the rubric and proposed title of the panel. Roundtables, alternative format panels, and the like are encouraged.
Submit all proposals at http://litsciarts.org/slsa15/slsaproposal.php
Paper/Panel Proposal Due Date: extended to April 15, 2015
Notification of Acceptance: June 1, 2015